Have you heard of Moomin? If you said yes, we’re sure you love Moomin just as much as we do. If you haven’t, well… you don’t know what you’re missing! Sizzle Press will be releasing The Moomin Coloring Book on May 2, 2017 and to celebrate, we wanted to share some facts on the adorable characters that have become an international phenomenon.
So, what exactly are Moomin?
The Moomins may look like hippopotamuses thanks to their cute snouts and pointy ears but they’re actually a family of Finnish trolls. Moomintroll and his parents Moominmamma and Moominpappa inhabit Moomin Valley along with their friends Snufkin, Little My and many others.
Who created the Moomin?
Finnish writer and illustrator Tove Jansson created Moomin when she was just a little girl but the first time Moomin appeared in print was in 1938 in an issue of Garm Magazine.
What was the inspiration behind Moomin?
Many of the characters, places, and storylines from the Moomin novels were inspired by Jansson’s own life! The first Moomin novel, Moomin and the Great Flood is about a family dealing with the threat of separation and was inspired by Jansson’s experiences during World War II.
Moomin Valley was inspired by the lush greenery surrounding the Jansson family home in the Gulf of Finland and the adventures of the sea-loving Moominpappa were based on her own storm-chasing father. The shy boy Toft was actually based on Tove herself!
Will 2017 be a big year for Moomin?
That’s an easy one; YES! Despite Moomin debuting almost 80 years ago, the popularity of the characters continues to rise. Aside for our beautiful coloring book, Chinti and Parker will release a Moomin clothing collection, the cuddly characters will take over London’s Kew Gardens during Easter and Gutsy Animations has created a Kickstarter to help bring a brand new Moomin TV series to life.
Is there anything else I should know?
There’s too much write here but here are a few more of our favorite facts:
- The first Moomin animated series made its debut in the 1970s.
- There’s been a series of Moomin plays and even an opera based on the cuddly characters!
- Moomin World is a beautiful theme park in Finland that has been operating for almost 25 years.
- Speaking of theme parks, the Walt Disney company tried to purchase Moomin but Jansson turned the offer down, choosing to keep the license in the family, who still owns it to this day.
- Moomin Cafes have sprung up in Japan where diners can eat traditional Finnish foods accompanied by a giant stuffed Moomin toy.
To learn more about Moomin, visit the official site by clicking here.